Duluth International Airport is a public used airport owned by a city and located approximately five miles northwest of the central business district. Currently, it is serving the Twin Ports area, including Superior Wisconsin. The airport is the third busiest in Minnesota and mostly is used by general aviation. Aircraft Manufacturing company is also based on the airport territory, where it has its main facility and headquarters.
The city purchased the original property for the airport in 1929 from St. Louis County. In 1942 three, 4000 feet long runways were paved. In1951 the control tower was built.
The original terminal building was built in 1954. Initially, the terminal area was 14200 square feet and included 280 parking spaces. It served the airport for almost 20 years. Later, in 1961 the Duluth Airport Authority Board renamed it to Duluth International Airport.
In 1973 a new Terminal Building and U.S. Customs, International Arrivals Building, were finished and opened for operation. Later in 1989, the newer terminal building and the adjacent structures were connected to form one enclosure. The initial terminal building was converted for use as offices for general aviation, the FAA and U.S. Weather Bureau.
A new passenger terminal was built directly in front of the old one. The new building has solved several problems that were in the previous terminal. On October 30, 2015, the new terminal was named after the late U.S. Representative Jim Oberstar.
At the moment five airlines are serving the airport. American Eagle, Delta Air Lines, Delta Connection, United Airlines, and United Express are all serving Duluth International Airport.
At the ending of 2017, the airport had 64 053 aircraft operations. 79% comes on general aviation. The main destinations for the passengers are Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota and Chicago-O’Hare, Illinois.